When it comes to measuring the quality of your services, it helps to understand the concepts of product and service dimensions. Users may want a key board that is durable and flexible for using on the wireless carts. Customers may want a service desk assistant who is empathetic and resourceful when reporting issues.
Quality is multidimensional. Product and service quality are comprised of a number of dimensions which determine how customer requirements are achieved. Therefore it is essential that you consider all the dimension that may be important to your customers.
Product quality has two dimensions.
- Physical dimension - A product's physical dimension measures the tangible product itself and includes such things as length, weight, and temperature.
- Performance dimension - A product's performance dimension measures how well a product works and includes such things as speed and capacity.
While performance dimensions are more difficult to measure and obtain when compared to physical dimensions, but the efforts will provide more insight into how the product satisfies the customer.
Like product quality, service quality has several dimensions.
- Responsiveness - Responsiveness refers to the reaction time of the service.
- Assurance - Assurance refers to the level of certainty a customer has regarding the quality of the service provided.
- Tangibles - Tangibles refers to a service's look or feel.
- Empathy - Empathy is when a service employee shows that she understands and sympathizes with the customer's situation. The greater the level of this understanding, the better. Some situations require more empathy than others.
- Reliability - Reliability refers to the dependability of the service providers and their ability to keep their promises.
The quality of products and services can be measured by their dimensions. Evaluating all dimensions of a product or service helps to determine how well the service stacks up against meeting the customer requirements.
Subscribe and Share!Did you enjoy this article? Your feedback is very important! I'd like to invite you to keep up to date with the latest posts from Anticlue. We offer several venues. If you have some questions, help can be found here.
- Become a Facebook Fan
- Subscribe to Anticlue
- Follow me on Twitter
- Add to Technorati Favorites
- Digg this post
9 Comments to “Dimensions of Product and Service Quality”
HELLO....THIS IS RAJA.....I AM IN MY 2nd YEAR OF MBA....I AM DOING A PROJECT IN SERVICE RESPONSIVENESS....SO ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THIS TOPIC WILL BE VERY HELPFUL....THANK YOU
HOW IS THE BREAKEVEN POINT CALCULATED AND DETERMINED FOR A FIRM IN A PERFECTLY COMPETITIVE MARKET
i am in MBA-3 .I HAVE COMPLETED ALL THE ASSIGNMENTS ....DO U NEED MAIL ME...I WILL GIVE U .
Just wondering about the dimensions of service quality and how customers percieve and evaluate the dimensions when the product is intangible?>
I learned deimensions but i want to know more about"managing service quality"
this will be very much thank ful for you
How do i provide a synopsis on service enhancement?
Hi My name is Leroy. i am in my third year, doing a diploma in civil engineering. one of the subjects i have is Business Operations and i have an assignment on that. i was wondering if you can help me in dividing Quality dimensions into Product Quality dimensions and Service Quality Dimensions. any help i can get on this is very useful to me
Hi I am currently engaged in Thesis on Service Quality and Customer Satisfaction for MBA programme. The article is very useful
Hi am senthil kumar. This website is very useful for studying dimension of product quality and service